1700 Beaver Grade Rd Ste. 200 Moon Township, PA 15108 • 412-264-4300 • Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 4:45 PM

1. How do you determine how much water and sewer service I have used and how much to charge me?

Your bills are based on the amount of water that passed through your meter since the last billing period. Sewer is not metered; instead, we base the amount charged for sewer on the amount of water delivered to your home.

2. I water my garden and lawn in the summer. How will this affect my bills and what are my options?

If you water outside during the summer, be prepared for a higher than normal Average Daily Consumption and bill charges. You will be charged both water and sewer for all water that passes through the domestic service meter. If you have significant non-sewer water use, it may be appropriate to consider establishing a service option that allows charges for this water use only. MTMA (Moon Township Municipal Authority) allows sewer charge deduct meters for residential and commercial customers when water used cannot enter the sewer. MTMA also allows parallel water meters not subject to sewage charge for commercial accounts when the water used cannot enter the sewer.

3. What if my bill is really high, but I haven't watered outside?

The typical residential customer uses approximately 4,000 gallons of water per month. A three-month bill of 12,000 gallons is typical. A bill that is higher than expected, but not due to outside watering, may indicate leaking toilets or pipes. In fact, one leaking toilet can lose as many as three to five gallons each minute, often silently. The three most common toilet leaks are: flapper, siphon tube, and overflow leaks. Luckily, it is easy to test your toilets for leaks. Just put some colored liquid such as dark food coloring into the top of your toilet tank, wait at least 20 minutes, and then check the toilet bowl. If the color has seeped into the bowl, you have a toilet leak. In that case, using the turn off valve, you should turn off the toilet until it is repaired.

The MTMA offers a no charge service to check for leaks during normal work hours. Call to schedule an appointment. Access to the interior of the premises is required. However, MTMA DOES NOT REPAIR PLUMBING FIXTURES OR FIX LEAKS.

Property inspections are popular and schedules fill quickly. If you strongly suspect a leak, we encourage you to contact a plumber. A delay in investigating the reasons for increased consumption at a property can result in a future high bill.

4. Why is the water discolored and is it safe to drink?

DISCOLORED WATER - is water containing an accumulation of iron and manganese sediment from rusting cast iron pipes and/or from a buildup of chemical deposits on the pipes. Water flowing at a steady, even pace in one direction will not disturb these deposits. If the water suddenly flows very fast or reverses direction, the sediment and deposits are stirred up, resulting in discoloration.

a. A broken main may allow water to rush out of the pipe, temporarily increasing the flow and disturbing the sediment.
b. Valves closed to isolate a broken water main or to make repairs may disturb the flow in nearby water mains causing a temporary increase or reversal of flow stirring up the sediment.
c. Fully opening a fire hydrant for fire fighting purposes or to flush the water system can cause a sudden increase in flow, which may temporarily cause discoloration.
d. New water mains added to the system might cause a change in established flow patterns and cause temporary discoloration.

Discolored water poses no health hazard. It is free from harmful bacteria and safe for all household uses, such a showering, cooking, flushing of toilets, etc. You can drink the discolored water, but it may taste different. MTMA does not recommend that you use discolored water to prepare baby formula.

Discolored water can be used for showering, flushing toilets, cleaning floors, etc. However, you should NOT wash clothes in your washing machine during this time. Clothing may stain. If clothing does get stained, immediately wash the clothes again using a rust remover product, available in most supermarkets or requested free from the MTMA during normal business hours. It is best if the clothes do not dry prior to using this type of product.

Particles that can be seen in the water are generally an accumulation of iron or other minerals.

5. How do I get my water analyzed?

You may contact a private laboratory for an individual analysis of your water. MTMA does not recommend specific laboratories. MTMA does not do individual analyses, except to isolate and/or identify a system problem. MTMA water is routinely tested at specific sites within the distribution system. We do have tap water analyses available. We will send you a copy of the most recent water analysis summary report upon request.

If you feel there is a water quality problem, we encourage you to contact the MTMA to discuss your concerns.

6. Can I turn the water off at my house? How?

To operate the main valve, turn clockwise to the right (until it stops) to close, and counterclockwise to the left (until it stops) to open.

If you need the water turned off from the outside, you should contact the MTMA. The MTMA will turn water off or on at no charge during normal work hours for service- related calls. MTMA will charge a one time $30 charge for turn off/turn on services for vacant homes during normal business hours, with a charge of $100 should the service be required after normal work hours. MTMA will not initiate or restart water service unless the customer or a representative is present to verify proper function of interior plumbing fixtures.



To operate the main valve, turn clockwise to the right (until it stops) to close, and counterclockwise to the left (until it stops) to open.

If you need the water turned off from the outside, you should contact the MTMA. The MTMA will turn water off or on at no charge during normal work hours. MTMA will charge $85 for water turn off or turn on after normal work hours. MTMA will not initiate or restart water service unless the customer or a representative is present to verify proper function of interior plumbing fixtures.

7. I think there is an underground or service leak. What should I do?

Please contact MTMA. We will investigate to determine the location of the leak (on or off property). The homeowner is responsible for the water service from the house to the property line and all the pipes within the house. If the leak is in the MTMA portion of the service line or on the main, the MTMA will make repairs and restore the affected area.

8. I have low pressure or high pressure in my home. What should I do?

Pressure is the force of water within the system. Other terms used in conjunction with pressure are static (not changing - pressure before flow) and residual (pressure left in a pipe system when high water flow rates are occurring). Water pressure is measured in pounds per square inch (PSI).

Low Pressure/Flow is generally described as not enough water in the system.

The problem may be a restriction within the pipes or a problem with just one plumbing fixture. If the "low flow" problem is found throughout the building/home, please call MTMA and we will investigate. Someone will have to be available for us to access the property to check inside the home/business. Understandably, our crews will have to address system wide emergencies and other critical events prior to investigating low pressure concerns. Low-pressure concerns are investigated by the MTMA during normal work hours at no additional cost.

Low Pressure/Flow can be caused by:
a. Pipes that are restricted and do not allow a proper flow of water. The system pressure can be satisfactory regardless of the restricted flow.
b. The main valve or a valve at an individual fixture may be partially closed.
c. A malfunctioning Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV) inside the home may cause reduced pressure/flow. The customer, not the MTMA, owns this device.
d. Screens on individual fixtures (filters or aerators) may be clogged. (Screens can be easily removed, rinsed and replaced.)

High Pressure is generally described as a stronger than normal flow of water from the spigots. If the pressure at your property is too high, resulting problems may be banging pipes, a tripped hot water relief valve or washers that wear out quickly.

A malfunctioning Pressure Relief Valve (PRV) can cause both high and low pressure problems. PRV's in the house are the homeowner's responsibility. You may wish to contact a plumber to replace a PRV or make other plumbing improvements. The MTMA will not replace the PRV or make other plumbing repairs.

9. I see water surfacing outside (street or shoulder of the road). Whom shall I call?

Contact MTMA at 412-264-4300 during office hours or after office hours, the Moon Township Police at 412-262-5000. We will send someone to investigate. Please give the person answering the phone any additional information regarding the location and nearest cross street to assist in locating the leak.

10. What is a water service line and for what portion I am responsible?

The contractor installing the water main generally installs the water service from the main to the property line. MTMA is responsible for maintaining the individual water service from the main to the property line. Service lines are generally 3/4" for private homes and up to 12" for large commercial and institutional customers MTMA uses copper and ductile iron for the service lines.

The service line from the property line to the house and all water pipes within the house/building are the responsibility of the homeowner. This portion of the service line must be installed per the requirements of the MTMA and Allegheny County Health Department. Inspection by both agencies is required prior to trench backfill.